Carbon Monoxide

What You Should Know

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas produced by appliances that are improperly installed, operating poorly or inadequately adjusted. Automobiles and other carbon-based fuels can produce CO as well. When inhaled, CO blocks the ability of blood to transport oxygen and can cause serious illness to you and your family.

A buildup of carbon monoxide is more likely to occur during winter, when furnaces are running and houses are sealed. People with carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning sometimes think they have the flu. They don’t realize CO poisoning is making them sick because they can’t see, smell, taste or hear it. If you are sick from CO poisoning, you will feel better when you go outside for fresh air.

Exposure to small doses of CO over time can produce flu-like symptoms, including:

  • headache
  • fatigue
  • dizziness
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • trouble thinking and concentrating
  • vision problems
  • shortness of breath
  • heart palpitations

Exposure to large doses of CO leads to nausea, collapse and unconsciousness or death.

If you suspect CO poisoning is affecting your family, leave your home and call our office or your local fire department. They are trained to deal with carbon monoxide.